Since I started watching movies as a kid I’ve owned several different formats. Here is where I started on the evolutionary chain.
- Cool, a VHS copy of my favorite movie!
- You know that I own a Laserdisc Player, and this is a VHS copy?
- I have a DVD player now, you know Laserdiscs are no longer popular?
- This is the full screen DVD, there is a Widescreen version!
- This is the original edition, the special edition has extra scenes.
- This is the DVD version, Blu-ray is in High Definition.
- This is the regular Blu-ray version, they make a 3D version now.
It’s difficult to replicate the original joy of owning a movie for the first time on VHS. I still own many DVDs and a few Blu-Rays because I refuse to re-purchase most movies. The only Blu-rays I own are select sci-fi movies such as Star Wars and Star Trek. The bulk of my Blu-ray collection consists of super hero movies. I really don’t care what format comes after Blu-ray, I’ve hit the peak interest of home theater a few years back and haven’t upgraded my equipment in some time. I guess if movies coming out of Hollywood were better I might take more interest.